An event like the Super Bowl doesn’t have to be an all out derailment from your clean eating plan. We have access to so many great paleo recipes now that you can still keep it grain-free, dairy-free and junk free while enjoying some really delicious treats. If you’ve been following along the strict portion of the CFR Nutrition Program for the past two weeks, these recipes should feel really indulgent and satisfying to you and my hope is that you won’t miss your old junk food!
First off, Wings….You can’t have the Super Bowl without wings, so here’s several options and even some paleo ranch recipes too.
- Buffalo Wings & Dairy Free Ranch from Against All Grain
- Chile Lime Chicken Wings from Nom Nom Paleo – a little more involved and require some marinating time so plan ahead
- Paleo Glazed Chicken Wings from Meatified
- Kyle’s Wings – the easiest to make of all of these and so good.
- Dairy Free Ranch – have’t tried it yet, but my sister said it was really good. (feel free to use regular vinegar if you don’t have coconut vinegar – my sister used apple cider vinegar)
Bacon wrapped things….because bacon makes every party better, obviously.
- Bacon Wrapped Pineapple – that sweet and salty thing. You can’t go wrong there.
- Bacon Wrapped Dates – so easy you don’t really need a recipe, but I’m sure you can google and find a bunch. Just make sure to buy pitted dates so you don’t break a tooth. Cut your bacon in half, wrap around dates, bake at 400 for 20-30 minutes (flip them half way through) or until bacon is crispy. I like to broil for a minute at the end for extra crispiness.
- Paleo Pigs in a Blanket – these sound sort of amazing. I mean, a hot dog wrapped in bacon. Yes, please.
- If you want pigs with a more traditional doughy blanket, I have made them before using my go to biscuit recipe from Zenbelly. Super tasty.
Chips & whatnot….
- Plantain Chip Nachos from Against All Grain – I’ve made these 1000 times and even without the cheese they are really good. Cook up some ground beef with my homemade taco seasoning and top with lots of guac, salsa and anything else you like. *Whole Foods carries plantain chips on their chip aisle. Publix carries them in the produce section but they contain junk oils so avoid those.
- Porkitos aka Crispy Proscuitto Chips from Nom Nom Paleo – haven’t tried them, but they’ve gotta be good.
- New York Style Paleo Pizza Crust from Zenbelly – Obviously a football staple. I’ve tried a zillion paleo pizza crust recipes and this one beats them all hands down. It’s for real, y’all. You are probably asking me why I’m tempting you with pizza when you can’t have dairy yet and I would have felt the same way like 6 months ago. But, I’ve cut a lot of dairy out of my diet lately and I can honestly say I think I actually prefer cheese-less pizza now. Weird, I know. All I’m saying is be open minded. The crust is so good, you may not even miss the cheese. Oh and if you’re into pepperoni go to the deli at Whole Foods and get the freshly sliced Applegate Farms pepperoni (and get extra so you can snack on it while you make your pizza). You’ll thank me. *Notes: This crust is easy to make, but the dough needs to rise for about 90 minutes so plan ahead. Also, Arrowroot Flour can be subbed for Tapioca starch (both can be found on the baking aisle in Whole Foods)*
- Bacon Spaghetti Squash Fritters ** – does this seem random for Super Bowl food? I don’t know, but I made them the other night and they were so good that I didn’t want you guys to miss out. My only regret….not making a double batch. I ate the one leftover fritter cold out of the fridge the next day and it was bacon-y and amazing. **This is not a paleo recipe. Follow what she says, making these few substitutions:
- – Replace flour with 2-3 TBSP coconut flour. Start with 2 and add another one if your batter is too liquid.
- – Omit parmesan cheese
- – Use butter or coconut oil for frying (never fry in Olive Oil).
- – I also added some garlic powder and maybe a few extra pieces of bacon
- Paleo Samoas from Deliciously Organic – Girl Scout Cookies, paleo style.
- Paleo Chunky Monkey Ice Cream from Paleo Newbie
- Paleo Fruit Crisp – If you were at the Paleo Supper Club this summer Anna brought this and it was amaze.
- Real Deal Chocolate Chip Cookies from Against All Grain – My go to paleo cookie. Paleo or not, everyone I make these for likes them
Enjoy! And let me know what you try!